Monday, August 3, 2009

Cards for Operation Smile

As many of you know, Close to My Heart is an active supporter of Operation Smile. Operation Smile is an amazing children’s medical charity whose network of global volunteers are dedicated to helping improve the health and lives of children and young adults. Since its founding, Operation Smile volunteers have treated more than 130,000 children born with cleft lips, cleft palates and other facial deformities. Did you know that only $240 can pay for a surgery which will bring a beautiful smile to a child's face? Last year (July 2008 - June 2009), through your donations and simple "rounding up" of your orders. we were able to donate almost $650 to Operation Smile. Further, through all consultant contributions and purchases of My Acrylix stamp sets, Close to My Heart donated $150,000 to this incredible cause.

At our Leadership Conference last week, we held a Silent Auction to benefit Operation Smile. A handful of consultants were asked to create something to donate to the auction which also included items made by our amazingly talented corporate Art Department. I was honored to receive a phone call asking me to contribute to this fun Silent Auction.

I chose to create a Magic Moments Card Set! Cutting and designing 20 cards was a snap using the one of the three workshop guides in the new Wishes book. Embellishing each of the cards took a little more time as no two cards in the set are alike. All 20 cards were put into a fun altered tin complete with dividers to keep the cards organized by theme.


The bidding on my item was beyond my wildest dreams! Thank you so much to everyone who bid on my card set. A special thanks to Marie for your very generous donation to Operation Smile - enjoy those cards!!

I've shared some of my favorite cards from the set below.

For this fun card, I cut the paisley accent out of the paisley print B&T paper from the Magic Moments paper packet.

A simple little Sparkle can make a big difference! That cute flower and the sentiment are both found in the Dainty Thoughts stamp set (C1350).
Liquid Applique and a touch of Prisma Glitter on the Sunflower star really makes this card shine. Stamp sets used are Thoughtful Seasons (D1299) and Magic Moments (B1318).
For this card, I stamped the cute paisley from the Magic Moments stamp set (B1318) in three different colors (Hollyhock, Indian Corn Blue and Sunflower) and then pieced together the elements to create a multi-colored paisley! An Antique Copper Brad adds the finishing touch.


Super simple card! I used the Thank You stamp set (D1361) and the Magic Moments set (B1318). After stamping the sentiment, I covered it with a Circle Window Charm and placed it on the card with a foam square - love that dimension!
Two more simple cards! The Celebrate card uses two stamp sets; Magic Moments (B1318) and It's a Party (D1182). The simple knotted ribbon adds a great finishing touch! The Thank You card uses Thank You (D1361) and lots of fun buttons!

Once again, I paper pieced the fun paisleys for these two cards. For a little extra kick, I added Liquid Applique to the dots in the center of the paisleys. FUN!
Who doesn't love flowers?!!? I use the Big Pinks Just Blooms for this card. Notice the Hollyhock and Garden Green brads in the center of the button. Such a simple card! If you love flowers how about a whole garden of them? This last card was created using our White Daisy Just Blooms paper flowers and Sweet Leaf Ric Rac for the stems and leaves. The centers of the flowers were created by cutting out circles from the circle print B&T paper in the Magic Moments paper packet and covering them with Circle Window Charms.

6 comments:

  1. I love your project! you did such a great job! I'm glad the auction went so well - I was bummed no pictures were allowed because I wanted to see all of the projects. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was even more beautiful in person, Beth! You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your cards, I almost got my hands slapped trying to see them.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This set totally rocks! Way to go!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice set of cards and tin. And I love your idea of using a circle and scallop circle for the divider tabs. Looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete